Why hire a professional graphic designer?
in BLOG /
This is a questions that I hear a lot and I can understand from a business point of view, you want to be able to place a value on hiring someone to do something that you may have been doing for years or feel is not that hard. Creativity is a hard thing for some people to comprehend value and price for so really understanding what you are going to be getting from the designer you hire is very important. There are so many programs and companies out there now days to “design” your business materials and we have seen it all. From using Word and Powerpoint to clipart and standard templates the options are endless. The fact is however that using these will not give you a professional look nor will they be at their prime to attract your clients. A Professional Graphic Designer is trained to think of all the aspects that go into each designed piece and what needs to be accomplished by each of them as well. Here is a quick list of some of the reasons WHY you should hire a professional graphic designer.
- A designer saves time. You know your job and do it well. A graphic designer is a professional who knows their field. They know about things like bleed and trap, type-safety and imposition, all the technical lingo so that you don’t have to. They also have skills and experience in typography, color schemes, balance, hierarchy and more. A graphic designer can turn your ideas into reality in a short time, leaving you free to do what you do best.
- Improves your image. We’ve all seen business cards prepared on a home printer using perforated paper and know impression they leave is not a good standard for any business. Well designed advertising and marketing materials need to convey an image to your prospective customers of a professional company that they can trust.
- Stand out in a crowd. Every day we’re bombarded by thousands of advertisements all fighting for our attention, telling us what we should do, eat, dress, feel, try now and more. Your best defense against becoming a part of the noise is through great design that captures your audience’s attention. Clean, direct and specific for your target audience.
- Knows the software. Even if you have professional design software, knowing how to use it quickly, properly and tastefully is another thing entirely. A graphic designer has experience and technical training with the software and they are more up-to-date on the new advantages of the latest software.
- Save money. If your art file is not prepared exactly the way it needs to be for printing, you may find that it will cost more to have a printing company “fix” the art file than it would have been to simply hire a professional to prepare proper “print-ready” files in the first place. Plus many printing companies have a Pre-press department, this may not really be a designer and just someone that can edit the file for printing not edit it having what’s best for your business in mind.
Creating properly prepared digital artwork for a printer is not rocket science, but there are many concepts to understand and follow to be successful. Failing to do so could cost you money. The cost could be minor, such as an additional proof, assuming the printer notices the error before going to press. They may need to “fix it” for you at their hourly rate if the problem is beyond your knowledge and skill. Worse still, you could receive printing that you find unusable. When you are providing artwork to a printing company, you are taking on the responsibility of providing artwork that is correct. There are MANY issues to consider that you may be unfamiliar with: ink trapping, photo resolution, bleeds, re-screen moiré patterns, etc. A good printer may catch a major problem, but it is not their responsibility to do so.
As a freelance designer, we can provide professional graphic design and website development at a lower cost than if you hired an advertising agency. As a graphic designer with “hands on” experience for a variety of industries, we offer many advantages which can save your company both time and money. Our designs are customized for your business, your target audience, and the specific media you are looking for such as print, web or social media.
Grundy Designs is a freelance design studio based in Minnesota specializing in branding and corporate identity. We design logos, business stationary, ads, flyers, posters, menus, event signage, cards and invitations, social media posts, websites and more. The first step in the design process is to discuss what your project goals are and your target audience you are trying to reach. Once I have a feel for who you are, what you do and who you are trying to reach, we can begin looking for ways to communicate your message visually.
To see Grundy Designs portfolio visit our website at www.grundydesigns.com and contact us with your newest design project to get started today!